Thursday

Fascinating Websites--Dead People Server

"People do not die for us immediately, but remain. . .to occupy our thoughts in the same way as when they were alive.  It is as though they were traveling abroad."  ~Marcel Proust

I used the above quote because that's what I feel concerning the dead. And often that feeling is shattered when I visit the website Dead People Server. It's very sick of me to enjoy it, I know, but I can sit for an hour or two being shocked over and over about who is dead.

The website pulls your leg now and then. If you choose to search alphabetically, the site's "powers that be," Laurie Mann, inserts the names of people who are still alive. Wham! You read the name of a star or author you love, and you say to yourself, Oh no! He's DEAD? But then you read the word ALIVE and you want to smack her. She just does that to jostle your intestines.

Not only is the WHO interesting, but the WHY is too. I won't read newspaper obituaries because they rarely say why someone died. The why helps me. When I read that someone took a spill on the sidewalk on a patch of ice, I make a note to myself, Wear boots with good traction. And when I read that someone dies in a head on crash, I say, Be careful driving.

I have a long list of things to do and not to do just from reading this website. One of the biggest is Don't get cancer, but that's something I can only influence, not completely control, so I put it out of my mind and write columns to amuse and direct you to macabre websites. :D

Visit Dead People Server HERE. There are other dead people servers, but I like this one the best. You can also search the site by year, and then Laurie can't pull your leg by slipping in people who are alive.

If you have even one morbidly-curious bone in your body, you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment