August is National Peach Month and I'm celebrating with some fascinating peach facts and yummy peach recipes. Lets start with some peachy info:
Peach Blossoms, aren't they pretty?
You don't eat this part.
- The peach hails from China, which produces the most peaches in the world
- There are yellow flesh and white flesh varieties
- They credit the Silk Road for the import of peaches to the West
- Europeans like the white-flesh peach over the yellow
- The white-flesh variety is the sweeter of the two
- Europeans once believed that the peach came from Persia, thus its scientific name prunus persica
- Growers harvest the peach anywhere from May to late July, depending on the variety
- Georgia is famous for its yummy peaches ("Georgia peach")
- There are two main categories of peach cultivar: freestone and clingstone because with some varieties the flesh sticks to the pit, and with others it doesn't.
- I like saying the word "cultivar." :D
My favorite peach recipe is my own Easy Peach Cobbler, which is really a dump cake. I found a link on the internet for my exact recipe, which I've posted below with other recipe links. Basically, all you do is take a large can of peaches in heavy syrup, pour them into a 9 x 13 pan, dump a box of yellow cake mix on top, dot with butter, and bake. So easy and so YUM.
Let's celebrate the special month with recipes! Easy Peach Cobbler (dump cake); 62 Summer Peach Recipes; Fresh Peach Pie (with Barefoot Contessa's pie crust recipe)
Source Articles: Wikipedia: Peach; Holiday Insights: August; Brainy Quote: Peach Quotes; Gone-ta-pott National Peach Month.