Friday

Theme of the Month-- August is National Peach Month

"... I prefer a really intense fruit taste. You know, when a peach is absolutely perfect... it's sublime. I'd like to capture that and then use it in a dessert." ~ Kathy Mattea

August is National Peach Month and I'm celebrating with some fascinating peach facts and yummy peach recipes. Lets start with some peachy info:


Peach Blossoms, aren't they pretty?
You don't eat this part.

  • The peach hails from China, which produces the most peaches in the world
  • There are yellow flesh and white flesh varieties
  • They credit the Silk Road for the import of peaches to the West
  • Europeans like the white-flesh peach over the yellow
  • The white-flesh variety is the sweeter of the two
  • Europeans once believed that the peach came from Persia, thus its scientific name prunus persica
  • Growers harvest the peach anywhere from May to late July, depending on the variety
  • Georgia is famous for its yummy peaches ("Georgia peach")
  • There are two main categories of peach cultivar: freestone and clingstone because with some varieties the flesh sticks to the pit, and with others it doesn't.
  • I like saying the word "cultivar." :D

My favorite peach recipe is my own Easy Peach Cobbler, which is really a dump cake. I found a link on the internet for my exact recipe, which I've posted below with other recipe links. Basically, all you do is take a large can of peaches in heavy syrup, pour them into a 9 x 13 pan, dump a box of yellow cake mix on top, dot with butter, and bake. So easy and so YUM.


photo credit: madlyinlovewithlife via photopin cc



The Peach has it's own Wikipedia Page; Here are some books about peaches on Amazon.



No comments:

Post a Comment